You have several options available to you when ordering materials for your courses. Be sure to consider how the cost of books, journals, courseware and more will affect your students.
Review the sections below to learn about digital textbooks, discounted courseware, open educational resources (OER) and various options available through Barnes & Noble.
Once your course materials have been selected, be sure to communicate what you are using, and if appropriate, submit orders for course materials before course registration opens for each semester. Failure to do so may result in a textbook being automatically selected for you. Learn more about the new textbook auto-adoption policy.
CarmenBooks is an Inclusive Access program that offers digital copies of selected textbooks for a fraction of the cost of a new, physical copy, as well as discounted access to publisher homework systems. With CarmenBooks, students can:
- Save up to 80% off retail price for your course materials
- Access publisher homework systems you already use, at a significant discount
- Access digital course materials through CarmenCanvas
- Retain access to digital course materials while students at Ohio State
As an instructor, providing a lower cost and easily accessible option for your course materials helps set students up for success from Day 1 of the semester.
How to Get Involved
For more information or to get started with CarmenBooks, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your course name and current textbook information (title, edition, publisher, etc.) A member of the Affordable Learning Exchange team will work with you to see if CarmenBooks is the right fit for your course.
You can find open educational resources (OER) and other affordable curricular resources through University Libraries.
- E-books: Through University Libraries, students are able to access many of the books used in your courses.
- Streaming Media: Incorporate videos and music in your course at no additional cost to students by utilizing University Libraries' collections.
- Journal articles and other materials: Through our extensive databases, University Libraries offers journal articles, magazine and newspaper articles, historical sources and more that you can share in your Carmen course.
If you’d like to speak to one of our experts for a course consultation, please contact Amanda Larson, Affordable Learning Instructional Consultant, or your subject librarian.
Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble’s Adoption & Insights Portal (AIP) is your source for researching, adopting and sharing insights about textbooks and course materials through the univeristy’s book store partner, Barnes & Noble.
Submitting your adoptions early and directly to the bookstore ensures that students will get the right materials for their course at the most affordable price.
With the new AIP platform, faculty and department administrators can:
- Save time with the one-click re-adopt feature
- Research and adopt course materials in one convenient place
- Compare estimated student price and available formats before adopting
- Review affordable alternatives to your selection, like OER and BNC OER+ Courseware
- Learn about affordable options for your students like Price Match and First Day
- Receive 24/7 support
The AIP platform uses Ohio State's Single Sign On (SSO) technology, which means you sign in with your university username and password.